Are you suffering from recurrent elbow, wrist, or hand pain that doesn’t seem to get better? There are several reasons why you may experiences pain or stiffness in these areas of the body. We use our elbows, wrists and hands for driving, preparing food, dressing and much more. As a matter of fact, we rely on these upper extremities for daily living. Contact our office for information regarding how we can reduce or completely eliminate pain in your elbows, wrists, and hands.
What is Elbow, Wrist, and Hand Pain?
Pain in your elbows, wrists, or hands can be mild, moderate, or severe. The pain may come and go, depending on a variety of factors including what type of activities you’re engaging in. Besides pain, you may experience tingling, numbness, and difficulty lifting or picking up objects. Pain throughout your arms and hands can have a great impact on your quality of life and how easily you can perform daily activities.
Causes of Elbow, Wrist, and Hand Pain
There are several reasons you might experience pain in the elbows, wrists, or hands. The following are a few of the painful conditions that can affect these areas of your body.
- Carpal tunnel – This condition occurs in the wrist where tendons and a primary nerve run along the forearm to the hand. There is extensive pressure on the median nerve that causes pain in your hand. Symptoms can include numbness, burning, and pain throughout the hand. There may be pain in the wrist that extends to the elbow. You might experience a weakened grip and have problems lifting items. The hand may also become swollen.
- Cubital tunnel – Cubital tunnel syndrome is a narrowing of tissues in the elbow. The ulnar nerve, which runs from the shoulder down the arm and to the wrist, is the primary tissue that is affected by this condition. Symptoms can include weakness in the hands, tingling, or numbness in the pinky and ring fingers, and pain throughout the fingers and hands.
- Bursitis – Bursitis happens when the tiny, fluid-filled sacs that cushion tendons and joints near your bones become inflamed. Bursitis is often caused by overuse and repetitive motions. Bursitis can occur throughout the body including the shoulders and elbows.
- Arthritis – According to the Arthritis Foundation, arthritis is a disease that affects more than 50 million Americans. If you’re suffering from arthritis, this can affect the joints through your elbows, wrists, and hands. This condition can cause varying degrees of pain and stiffness.
- Sprains and Strains – Sprains and strains are some of the most common injuries in sports. Sprains and strains in the hands or the wrists can occur from repetitive use, such as a sports activity, or after a sudden twisting motion or fall.
How Physical and Occupational Therapy Helps Elbow, Wrist, and Hand Pain
Physical therapy can effectively reduce or eliminate pain in your elbows, wrists, and hands. It can even help you avoid surgery. According to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), manual physical therapy may even work better than surgery for conditions such as carpal tunnel. Often a therapist will work in conjunction with your primary care doctor to identify the root cause of your pain. A therapist will evaluate your condition which can include assessing your flexibility and strength. After a complete evaluation has been made a physical and occupational therapist will put together an individualized program to treat your pain. Exercise and stretching may be included to improve your strength and increase range of motion. A therapist may also use heat and ice therapy, massage treatment, or electrical stimulation.
If you’re suffering from pain in your elbows, wrists, or hands, a trained physical and occupational therapist may be able to help relieve or completely eliminate your pain. Contact Sports Rehab & Professional Therapy Associates today at Cherokee, Storm Lake, Ida Grove, Pocahontas, Denison, IA centers to schedule an appointment with one of our physical and occupational therapists. Our physical therapists are committed to helping you improve your quality of life while eliminating your pain!